Freitag, 17. Oktober 2008

Wayanad days

Well, working with RASTA now. It is an organization that helps small farmers and farmer families from all parts of society (which includes about eight indigenous groups in the area) in incorporating sustainable and highly modern forms of agriculture in their daily work. That means showing them to recycle, e.g. compost, the parts of the plants not used in feeding animals or humans. Other things are rainwater harvesting for drinking water, educating women and emancipating them (that is, showing them means of generating income (pottery, weaving, etc.)



My job so far is to create a webpage-content for their website, one about the volunteer program, of which I am a part and another about their involvement with the Telesupport organization, where all the techniques and practices they develop here will be posted online for everyone to access.


Today was the first time I went into town (Kambalakkad), which is a roadside town of, hmm, not a whole lot of people, to do some necessary shopping. I now own two button shirt and also ordered a pair of pants (not too fancy, but I don't know if they understood). I first had to get the cloth ("Here only stitching!") and that was harder than expected, because the guy didn't speak a whole lot of English and soon got fed up with my questions and requests. I'll see how everything turns out, it'll take two weeks.


The people I work with here are Vishnu and Danesh (the boss and husband of Omana, who is a Nobel peace price nominee and not here right now), and also Suresh and Chandra, who don't speak a lot of English. Also, there is the lady who keeps the kitchen and whose name I still don't know or can't remember and who always smiles very nicely and gives me food. So she's really important, yes!?! ;-)



I got my own room, well, there are some insects I have to share it with, there's a power cut at 9pm every day, and a lot of people who greet me when I go to town. Today I talked to Kat, and she's ok, only slight muscle ache from her pre-kalari training. I will see her tomorrow in Coorg or in Kannur, we don' know yet. Cheers!


4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Frei nach Busch:

Denn jeder Juengling hat nun mal,
'nen Hang zum Kuechenpersonal.

Ich kann Dich gut verstehen!
Gruss und Kuss
Deine Mom

PS Ich fiebere nach der Schlafwagenfahrt-Beschreibung!!!!!

Anonym hat gesagt…

hey,
ich weiß nicht, ob ihr diese kommentare überhaupt lest...
kathrin: check' deine mails!
falls das nicht geht - andy, bitte richte kathrin aus, dass ich meine arbeit abgegeben habe und meine klausur geschrieben habe und mich relativ vergessen fühle.
:o(
nix felicity. obwohl - stimmungsmäßig schon, aber eben letter-wise nicht.
ich fahre übermorgen in die schweiz zu gabi.
schoki spieli?
liebe grüße,
michi

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hört sich ja alles echt cool an.... auch schon viele schlechte erfahrungen gemacht????

Andy ich hab ein guniess für dich getrunken, danach gings mir dann richtig übel... ;)

Dein Anruf hat mich sehr gefreut....

thanks a lot

Kisses to you and K.

miss u

Isa

Anonym hat gesagt…

schlafwagenbericht rollt schon aus dem bahnhof!

kommentare werden gelesen, nur gibts hier nicht immer internetz! richt ich kat auch aus, und kann dir auch ne nummer schicken, unter der du sie erreichen kannst.

yeah, guinnes. das bier hier heisst Kingfisher, kommt in 670ml Flaschen, und schmeckt nich. schlechte erfahrungen gabs noch keine, da wir so gut vorbereitet sind und abends nicht weggehen. weil oft nix zum weggehen da is.

cheers, andy